搜索
查看: 496|回复: 0

[政治] 泪洒唐宁街!特蕾莎·梅宣布辞职演讲翻译(中英对照)

[复制链接]
发表于 2019-5-24 08:11 PM | 显示全部楼层 |阅读模式

泪洒唐宁街!特蕾莎·梅宣布辞职演讲翻译(中英对照)

界面地球姨 最天下 2019-05-25

6F89E7B7-79AA-4AA0-B082-60FAFDEFCF76.jpeg

最天下导读:当地时间周五(5月24日)上午,迫于保守党内大量人士反对目前脱欧进程的压力,特蕾莎·梅宣布将于6月7日辞去首相之位。两周以后(6月10日),保守党领导人竞选将正式开启。

在唐宁街10号首相官邸门前的演讲中,特蕾莎·梅表达了尽全力实现英国脱欧,然而至今未能如愿的遗憾。她认为能担任首相是自己毕生的荣幸。而说到这一句时,特蕾莎·梅已经哽咽。以下是最天下(ID:theveryworld)独家翻译的演讲内容。

“Ever since I first stepped through the door behind me as prime minister, I have striven to make the United Kingdom a country that works not just for a privileged few, but for everyone. And to honour the result of the EU referendum.

“自从我作为首相第一次踏进我身后的大门以来,我一直在努力使英国成为一个不仅为少数特权阶层服务,而且是为所有人服务的国家。同时还要尊重脱欧公投的结果。

Back in 2016, we gave the British people a choice.Against all predictions, the British people voted to leave the European Union.

回想起2016年时,我们给了英国人民一个选择。与所有的预测相反,英国人民投票决定退出欧盟。

I feel as certain today as I did three years ago that in a democracy, if you give people a choice you have a duty to implement what they decide.I have done my best to do that.

今天的我和三年前一样确定:在民主国家里,如果你给了人民选择,你就有责任执行他们的决定。因此我尽了最大的努力完成这一点。

I negotiated the terms of our exit and a new relationship with our closest neighbours that protects jobs, our security and our Union.I have done everything I can to convince MPs to back that deal.

我去谈判了我们退出的条件,并与我们最亲密的邻居谈成一种新的关系。这样可以保护我们的就业、我们的安全和我们的联合王国。我已经尽我所能说服议员支持这项协议。

Sadly, I have not been able to do so. I tried three times.

遗憾的是,我一直未能做到这一点。我已经尝试了三次。(译者注:特蕾莎·梅的脱欧协议三次遭到英国议会否决)

I believe it was right to persevere, even when the odds against success seemed high.But it is now clear to me that it is in the best interests of the country for a new prime minister to lead that effort.

我相信坚持是正确的,即使不成功的几率似乎很高。但现在我很清楚,由一位新首相领导脱欧进程才符合国家的最大利益。

So I am today announcing that I will resign as leader of the Conservative and Unionist Party on Friday 7 June so that a successor can be chosen.

因此,我今天宣布,我将在6月7日星期五当天辞去保守和统一党领导人的职务,以便能够选出继任者。

I have agreed with the party chairman and with the chairman of the 1922 Committee that the process for electing a new leader should begin in the following week.

我同意保守党主席和1922委员会主席的意见,选举新领导人的程序应在下周开始。

I have kept Her Majesty the Queen fully informed of my intentions, and I will continue to serve as her prime minister until the process has concluded.

我也向女王陛下充分通报了我的打算。我将继续担任女王陛下的首相,直至选举进程结束。

It is, and will always remain, a matter of deep regret to me that I have not been able to deliver Brexit.

我对未能实现脱欧深感遗憾,并将永远如此。

It will be for my successor to seek a way forward that honours the result of the referendum. To succeed, he or she will have to find consensus in parliament where I have not. Such a consensus can only be reached if those on all sides of the debate are willing to compromise.

我的继任者将寻求一条尊重公投结果的前进道路。要想取得成功,他或她必须在议会里让我还没有取得共识的地方取得共识。而只有谈论各方都愿意妥协的情况下,才能达成这种共识。

For many years the great humanitarian Sir Nicholas Winton — who saved the lives of hundreds of children by arranging their evacuation from Nazi-occupied Czechoslovakia through the Kindertransport — was my constituent in Maidenhead.

多年来,伟大的人道主义者尼古拉斯·温顿爵士一直是我在梅登黑德(Maidenhead)选区的选民,他通过运输工具安排数百名儿童从纳粹占领的捷克斯洛伐克撤离,拯救了他们的生命。

At another time of political controversy, a few years before his death, he took me to one side at a local event and gave me a piece of advice. He said: “Never forget that compromise is not a dirty word. Life depends on compromise.” He was right.

在另一场政治争议中,就在他去世几年前,他在一场当地活动上把我拉到一边建议我说:“永远不要忘记,妥协不是一个肮脏的词。生命取决于妥协。” 他是对的。

As we strive to find the compromises we need in our politics — whether to deliver Brexit, or to restore devolved government in Northern Ireland — we must remember what brought us here.

当我们努力在我们的政治中找到我们所需要的妥协——无论是实现英国脱欧,还是在北爱尔兰恢复权力下放的政府——我们必须记住是什么把我们带到这里。

Because the referendum was not just a call to leave the EU but for profound change in our country. A call to make the United Kingdom a country that truly works for everyone. I am proud of the progress we have made over the last three years.

因为全民公投不仅仅是呼吁脱离欧盟,而是呼吁我们的国家发生深刻的变化。呼吁使联合王国成为一个真正为所有人服务的国家。我为我们在过去三年中取得的进展感到自豪。

We have completed the work that David Cameron and George Osborne started: the deficit is almost eliminated, our national debt is falling and we are bringing an end to austerity.

我们已经完成了戴维·卡梅伦和乔治·奥斯本时代开展的工作:赤字几乎被消除,我们的国家债务正在下降,我们正在结束紧缩。

My focus has been on ensuring that the good jobs of the future will be created in communities across the whole country, not just in London and the south-east, through our Modern Industrial Strategy.

我的重点一直是确保通过我们的现代工业战略,日后在全国各地,而不仅仅是在伦敦和东南部,创造良好就业机会。

We have helped more people than ever enjoy the security of a job. We are building more homes and helping first-time buyers on to the housing ladder — so young people can enjoy the opportunities their parents did. And we are protecting the environment, eliminating plastic waste, tackling climate change and improving air quality.

我们帮助了比以往任何时候都更多的人享受到一份稳定的工作。我们正在建造更多的住房,并帮助首次购房者走上住房阶梯——这样年轻人就可以享受他们父母所提供的机会。我们正在保护环境,消除塑料废物,应对气候变化和改善空气质量。

This is what a decent, moderate and patriotic Conservative government, on the common ground of British politics, can achieve — even as we tackle the biggest peacetime challenge any government has faced.

这就是一个体面的、温和的、爱国的保守党政府,在英国政治的共同立场上,能够实现的目标——即使我们正在应对政府在和平时期所能面临的最大挑战。

I know that the Conservative party can renew itself in the years ahead. That we can deliver Brexit and serve the British people with policies inspired by our values.

我知道保守党可以在未来的岁月里重振旗鼓。我们能够实现英国退欧,并以我们价值观所驱动的政策为英国人民服务。

Security; freedom; opportunity. Those values have guided me throughout my career. But the unique privilege of this office is to use this platform to give a voice to the voiceless, to fight the burning injustices that still scar our society.

安全;自由;机会。在我的整个职业生涯中,这些价值观一直在指引着我。但是,这一(首相——办公室的特权是利用这一平台给无声的人一个声音,与仍然给我们的社会留下伤疤的“不公正之火”作斗争。

That is why I put proper funding for mental health at the heart of our NHS long-term plan. It is why I am ending the postcode lottery for survivors of domestic abuse. It is why the Race Disparity Audit and gender pay reporting are shining a light on inequality, so it has nowhere to hide.

这就是为什么我把部分精神健康资金作为我们国家医疗体系长期规划的核心。这就是为什么我要结束对家庭虐待幸存者的邮编幸运医疗(译者注:指能得到的医保程度或方式取决于居住的地区)。这就是为什么种族差距审计和性别薪酬报告揭示了不平等现象——因此它无处可藏。

And that is why I set up the independent public inquiry into the tragedy at Grenfell Tower — to search for the truth, so nothing like it can ever happen again, and so the people who lost their lives that night are never forgotten.

正因为如此,我对格伦费尔大厦的悲剧进行了独立的公开调查寻找真相(译者注:2017年6月,伦敦格伦费尔大厦火灾造成71人死亡),这样的事情就不会再发生了,那天晚上失去生命的人也永远不会被忘记。

Because this country is a Union. Not just a family of four nations. But a union of people — all of us. Whatever our background, the colour of our skin, or who we love. We stand together. And together we have a great future.

因为这个国家是个联盟。不只是一个由四个王国组成的家庭,而且是人民的联盟——我们所有人。不论我们的背景,肤色,或者我们爱的人。我们站在一起时,我们就能拥有美好的未来。

Our politics may be under strain, but there is so much that is good about this country. So much to be proud of. So much to be optimistic about.

我们的政治可能处于紧张状态,但这个国家有很多优点。太多值得骄傲的事了。有太多值得乐观的东西。

I will shortly leave the job that it has been the honour of my life to hold — the second female prime minister but certainly not the last.

不久后,我将辞去我毕生最荣幸的工作——我是英国第二位女首相,但肯定不是最后一位。

I do so with no ill-will, but with enormous and enduring gratitude to have had the opportunity to serve the country I love.”

我这样做不是出于憎恨。有机会为我所爱的国家服务,这让我怀有巨大又持久的感激。

您需要登录后才可以回帖 登录 | 注册

本版积分规则

手机版|小黑屋|www.hutong9.net

GMT-5, 2024-5-19 10:18 AM , Processed in 0.075326 second(s), 18 queries .